Daniel T. Janis
Practice Focus and Experience
Dan Janis practices in the Business Law area. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and representation of public and private companies in a range of general and transactional matters, including corporate finance, private equity placements, venture capital financings, syndicated commercial credit facilities, joint ventures and day-to-day business counseling in a variety of industries. Prior to joining Davis Malm, Dan was a corporate associate in the Boston offices of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Goulston & Storrs PC. Before becoming an attorney, Dan was a Peace Corps volunteer in Mali, West Africa, and a musician. He is currently trying to run a marathon in every state.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in connection with its ongoing transactional activity, including 29 stock and asset acquisitions since 2010.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in its $1.25 billion acquisition of company with operations in the United States and Canada, including raising financing through a sale of equity and privately placed notes, and an amendment to its revolving credit facility.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in aggregate $1.8 billion stock and bond transactions, including a private placement of senior notes, the simultaneous redemption and repurchase of outstanding secured notes, and a sale of common stock.
- Represented internet, software, scientific, retail, and consumer products companies in connection with acquisitions, angel, venture capital, private equity financings, and ongoing general corporate needs.
- Represented venture capital and private equity funds in connection with initial and follow-on rounds of investments in start-up and growth-stage technology, internet and consumer product companies and in connection with post-financing, ongoing general counsel needs.
- Represented lenders in connection with financing facilities to middle market companies in a variety of industries in order to facilitate leveraged, private equity investments.
- Represented renewable energy companies in connection with financing and state and federal tax incentive programs.
- Distinctions: Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2014-2017; Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2010-2013.
- Admitted: Massachusetts; District of Columbia.
- Member: Massachusetts Bar Association; Boston Bar Association.
- Executive Leadership Committee, American Heart Association/Lawyers Have Heart 5K.
- Board Member and Past President, Sumner Hill Neighborhood Association.
- Organizer of local running events; aspiring 50-state marathoner.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- The Microaggression of Document Reading, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, August 2018, Daniel T. Janis (author)
Episode 138 - Dan Janis, How Was Your Run Today? The Podcast, July 2018, Daniel T. Janis (guest)
Disclosure Schedules: Pariah of the Purchase Agreement, Law360, March 2018, Daniel T. Janis (author)
- The Life of a Deal: Nuts and Bolts of a Stock Purchase Transaction, Boston Bar Association, 2017, Daniel T. Janis (presenter)
Venture Capital Shareholder Agreements - More Attention Now, Less Heartache Later, Business Law Today, 2017, Daniel T. Janis (author)
Shareholder Agreements - Terms, Tricks and Traps for the Unwary, VC-List, 2017, Daniel T. Janis (author)
Chasing the next generation of lottery players, The Boston Globe, November 2015, Daniel T. Janis (letter to the editor)
The Cold, Cruel World of Selling Online: How to Keep the Boy Bands at Bay, TotalRetail, 2015, Daniel T. Janis (author)
- Employment Contracts in Change of Control Transactions: Dos, Don’ts, Tricks and Traps, MBA Continuing Legal Education, 2015, Daniel T. Janis (presenter)