Richard L. Sampson
Practice Focus and Experience
Richard Sampson practices in the Intellectual Property area. He assists clients in obtaining, maintaining, and enforcing patents, trademarks, and copyrights throughout the world. His active patent practice includes providing strategic counseling to clients focused on building patent portfolios, including addressing patent validity, infringement, patentability, and licensing issues, and helping them navigate the complex patent process.
Richard has extensive experience in patent preparation and prosecution and helps companies and individuals secure their intellectual property assets and rights both domestically and abroad. He has considerable experience applying U.S. Patent Office procedures to obtain expedited examination of patent applications.
Richard has a broad-based technological background and has represented clients in a wide range of technologies and industries, including large and small manufacturers and licensors of computer hardware and software, telecommunications/networking, data storage, industrial process control instrumentation, medical diagnostic instrumentation, medical devices, biomedical sensors, small (micro- and nano-) scale materials and machines, complex mechanical technologies, and business methods, for corporate, individual, and university clients. He is especially skilled in process automation, instrumentation, financial services/business methods, and complex mechanical systems.
His trademark practice includes extensive experience in the prosecution of both domestic and foreign trademark applications, and counseling clients on the selection of marks and on infringement issues. He also has experience with post-grant proceedings in patent and trademark matters before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Prior to joining Davis Malm, Richard was the founder and principal of Sampson & Associates, P.C. for 18 years. He also practiced at a leading intellectual property firm in Albany, New York, and, while in law school, drafted patent applications in the patent department of a large multinational corporation.
- Represented a multinational client for over a decade in developing and managing an international patent portfolio in the field of industrial sensors and process automation.
- Represented a serial entrepreneur in a series of venture-backed start-ups, building patent portfolios in the computer security technology field, which culminated in successful multi-million dollar exits.
- Represented a major university developing a patent portfolio in micro- and nano-scale technologies.
- Represented an individual inventor in developing and patenting market-leading, electronic media technology and in the million dollar sale of the patent.
- Represented a large, multinational corporation in developing patent portfolios in advanced materials and processing.
- Established and managed a worldwide trademark portfolio for a closely-held, high-growth-rate media company.
- Represented a financial services company in developing and managing patent and trademark portfolios for novel financial products.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating.
- Admitted: Massachusetts; Connecticut; U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Member: Boston Bar Association; American Intellectual Property Law Association; Boston Patent Law Association; Intellectual Property Owners Association.
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Town of Winchester: Chair and Member (1997 - present).
- Head of the Charles Regatta®: Race Operations Co-Chair (1999 - present); Board of Directors (2006 - present); Managing Director (2011 - present).
- Winchester Savings Bank: Corporator (2012 - present).
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Legal Insights for Entrepreneurs, Startups & Emerging Companies, Newton Innovation Center, 2017, Brian J. Coughlin, Andrew D. Myers, and Richard L. Sampson (co-presenters)
- The importance of businesses protecting their intellectual property, and recent trends in intellectual property court decisions, Radio Entrepreneurs (13:00), 2017, Richard L. Sampson (podcast interview)
- Richard L. Sampson discusses with Radio Entrepreneurs the importance of businesses protecting their intellectual property, and recent trends in intellectual property court decisions, Radio Entrepreneurs (13:00), 2017, Richard L. Sampson (interviewed)
Two Supreme Court Decisions Take a Whack at Patent Holders, Medical Design & Outsourcing, 2017, Richard L. Sampson (quoted)
- Intellectual Property Roundtable, Springboard Enterprises' Health Innovation Hub, 2017, Richard L. Sampson (participant)
Microsoft's Cloud IP Protection: A Solution Without a 'Patent Troll' Problem?, Legaltech News, 2017, Richard L. Sampson (quoted)
- Practical IP Solutions for Start-Ups and Small Businesses, Smaller Business Association of New England, 2016, Lawrence J. Casey and Richard L. Sampson (co-presenters)
- Understanding Your Rights When You Are "Hired to Invent", Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, 2016, Richard L. Sampson (author)
IP Ownership Issues IT Consultants Should Know About, Channel Insider, 2016, Richard L. Sampson (author)
4 Ways IT Businesses Can Reduce Software Liability, Insureon, 2016, Richard L. Sampson (quoted)