The experienced attorneys in our intellectual property litigation group regularly handle matters involving trade secrets, confidential information, false advertising, unfair competition, and infringement. We work successfully in federal and state courts and represent both plaintiffs and defendants, giving us a broad perspective on both sides of these matters. We use the very latest technology in pursuing these cases, and we collaborate with one of our intellectual property shareholders who holds advanced degrees in science and technology.
We are keenly aware that intellectual property can be the most valuable assets belonging to our clients, and we treat these assets as such. Moreover, many of these cases are, in effect, decided at the temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction stage, and we have the experience and ability to prepare these cases with speed, efficiency, and precision.
- Defended patent infringement actions brought by patent assertion entities (commonly known as patent trolls).
- Defended an online retailer against claims of copyright and trademark infringement and violations of rights of publicity.
- Pursuit of patent infringement claims on behalf of a medical devices company.
- Obtained the reversal of a copyright infringement verdict in the U.S. Court of Appeals, setting precedent on apportionment of profits in copyright infringement cases.
- Represented a national developer of human resources management software systems in successfully defending products liability/contract claims arising under software licensing and implementation agreements.
- Successfully arbitrated a patent royalty dispute regarding a medical device that entitles our client, the inventor of the device, to future royalties valued at $25 million to $60 million over the life of the patent.
- Successfully defended numerous companies from claims of copyright infringement and violations of licensing agreements and Trademark Counterfeiting Act.
- Successfully defended a corporation and two of its employees in Norfolk Superior Court against a motion by competitor for a preliminary injunction for the alleged violation of a noncompetition agreement.
- Won a judgment for a company co-founder in a matter arising from the breakup of a business, including breach of contract and noncompetition claims.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended numerous federal and superior court actions involving employee noncompetition agreements in a wide variety of industries, including high technology, medical services, employee staffing, manufacturing, banking, and wholesale produce brokerage.