A number of our litigators work regularly in the appellate arena, and we have a demonstrated record of success in both the state and the federal courts. Among our attorneys are former appellate law clerks as well as Boston University, Harvard University, Boston College, and Suffolk University law school faculty members and instructors teaching appellate advocacy. We not only handle matters on appeal in which we have been involved at the outset, but numerous matters are referred to us by trial counsel seeking experienced lead appellate counsel or strategic consultation on appellate issues.
- Participated in successful litigation in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, reversing a District Court decision that, if allowed to stand, would have deprived real estate developers of the flexibility they need to develop phased condominium projects. Read more: Northwood Properties, LLC.
- Won a Supreme Judicial Court decision upholding a substantial discrimination award for our client, a decision in which new precedent was set in such cases.
- Won a Supreme Judicial Court victory for our property-owner client, whose neighbor had interfered with the client's right to use and develop his property. Read the decision: Haufler v. Zotos.
- Obtained the reversal of a federal district court judgment by the U.S. Court of Appeals and remand for new trial in a federal copyright case brought by an architect against our developer client. Read more: John G. Danielson, Inc. v. Winchester-Conant Properties, Inc.
- Appeared in the Supreme Judicial Court three times in the Demoulas litigation, and prevailed in each instance.
- Participated in successful litigation to invalidate "rate of development" municipal zoning bylaws that restricted issuance of building permits. Read the decision: Zuckerman v. Town of Hadley.