John T. Lynch
Practice Focus and Experience
John Lynch has been practicing corporate law in Boston since 1975 and has served on Davis Malm’s Executive Committee for 15 years. His practice focuses primarily on advising business organizations as general outside corporate counsel and representing them in corporate transactional work, specifically in the area of mergers and acquisitions. John represents companies in a variety of high tech and traditional industries, advising them on general business matters, mergers and acquisitions, corporate transactions, contracts, financing, licensing, corporate governance, structuring of legal entities, executive compensation, and generally counseling on and fulfilling the day-to-day legal requirements for businesses. His training and background in accounting provide him with a special insight into the financial and tax matters that confront businesses. A substantial portion of John’s practice has included advising board of directors and addressing corporate governance issues.
John has also served as a trustee of numerous private trusts. He has extensive experience in the planning, drafting, and management of trusts including related investment decisions. As a result of this work, he has developed an expertise in trust law, income taxation of fiduciaries, investments, relations with investment managers, the preparation and filing of fiduciary income tax returns, and other legal matters related to the formation, management and termination of trusts.
John is a graduate of the U.S. Army Officers Candidate School, Fort Belvoir, VA and a graduate of the U.S. Army Counterintelligence School, Fort Holabird, MD. He served as a counterintelligence officer (First Lieutenant) with the 205th Military Intelligence Detachment in Frankfurt, Germany from 1970-1972.
- Recently represented a media group focused on strategic executive networking in its sale to a private equity group.
- Recently represented a fourth generation media company in its sale to a U.K. company.
- Recently appointed as General Counsel to a media company in the New York City area.
- Recently represented a contemporary culture event company in its sale to a U.K. company.
- Represented a long-time client in the event rental business in its sale to a private equity group.
- Served as General Counsel for twenty years to one of the country's largest independent distributors of high speed steel, culminating in representing the company in its sale to a public company.
- Served as outside General Counsel for ten years to a NASDAQ-listed entity, including conducting international transactions, acquisitions, financing, public offering, and ultimate sale.
- Served as General Counsel for many years to an international manufacturer with operations in the U.S., Europe, and China, including the negotiation and structuring of joint venture to construct a manufacturing facility in China.
- Counsel to a regional advertising business comprised of multiple companies in several states that were eventually sold to various acquirers.
- Serves as outside General Counsel to a media company in the business of purchasing and selling media properties.
- Counsel to a U.S. energy company on whose behalf assisted in the negotiation and structuring of an acquisition agreement with respect to its purchase by a publicaly held European energy entity.
- Represented a U.S. manufacturing company in the sale of its U.S. operations as well as operations in France and Thailand.
- Represented a U.S. leisure company in the acquisition of a Mexican resort entity.
- Counsel to a management group buy out in connection with a nationwide health company.
- Counsel to acquirer in the purchase of a West Coast agriculture business.
- Representation of senior executives in connection with various employment and benefit matters.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating; Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004, 2013-2017.
- Admitted: Massachusetts; United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Louis Brandeis Fellow: Massachusetts Bar Foundation.
- Member: Boston Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section); Massachusetts Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section).
- Member: Massachusetts Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors and President of The Hundred Club of Mass., Inc., a charitable corporation that provides crucial benefits to the surviving family members of Massachusetts police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Fallen Firefighters Memorial Fund, Inc., an organization established to design, construct and maintain a memorial for firefighters killed in the line of duty.
- Member of Needham Conservation Commission (1986-1994).
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- John T. Lynch talks with Radio Entrepreneurs about M&A transactions and preparing for the due diligence process, Radio Entrepreneurs (11:24), 2017, John t. Lynch (interviewed)
- Exploring M&A transactions and preparing for the due diligence process, Radio Entrepreneurs (11:24), 2017, John T. Lynch (podcast interview)
- How to Succeed as a New Firm Partner, Boston Bar Association, 2015, John T. Lynch (panelist)