George A. Hewett
Practice Focus and Experience
George "Tony" Hewett practices in the Banking and Credit and Business Law areas, focusing his practice in commercial lending, real estate finance, and public finance. He has extensive experience in handling all phases of commercial lending transactions, including closings, portfolio management activities and workouts involving bankruptcy, litigation and liquidation of assets through foreclosure and/or secured party sales. For the past 30 years, Tony has been lead counsel in representing national, regional, and local bank and non-bank lenders, closing on over 3,500 transactions during this time throughout New England and the United States. Tony is a United States Small Business Administration approved specialist in closing and servicing SBA loan transactions including the 7(a) SBA guaranteed loan program. He also works extensively in the SBA 504 Program for Economic Development, has been approved as a Designated 504 Closing Attorney for seventeen years, and is a former member of the Board of Directors of New England Certified Development Corporation. He also has expertise in closing loans guaranteed by the United States Department of Agriculture.
The SBA 7(a) loans typically involve financing for real estate acquisitions, working capital, equipment acquisition, debt refinancing and inventory purchase. The 504 loans typically involve real estate acquisition or renovation and equipment purchases. Tony also represents the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development and the Department of Environmental Protection in a variety of business assistance loan programs.
Prior to joining Davis Malm, Tony served for four years in the Reagan/Bush Administration, first in Washington, D.C. as a Special Assistant to the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, as the Vice President of Mortgage Finance and the Special Assistant to the President of the Government National Mortgage Association, and then in Boston as an Attorney Advisor with SBA.
- Represented a regional commercial bank in a $5 million SBA guaranteed loan for a Massachusetts hotel and restaurant group.
- Represented a regional commercial bank in a $10 million USDA guaranteed loan for a Massachusetts hotel and restaurant group.
- Represented a national bank in a $10 million asset acquisition loan for a Massachusetts software development company.
- Represented a regional commercial bank in a $5 million real estate and asset acquisition by management of a Massachusetts manufacturing company.
- Represented the Energy Lending Division of a regional lender in a $7 million Term Loan facility and $2 million Revolving Line of Credit facility and $4 million Mortgage loan facility for Massachusetts and Connecticut-based home heating oil and propane company.
- Represented a national lender in the $1.3 million construction financing for a recycling and waste transfer facility.
- Represented a national lender in the $20 million take-out financing of a construction loan for a regional warehousing and distribution company.
- Represented a national lender in the $3.7 million debt refinancing for a tennis and health club.
- Represented a regional commercial lender in the $5.96 million acquisition of a Cape Cod inn and restaurant.
- Represented a national lender in the $1.5 million acquisition of a product division of a national manufacturer.
- Represented a Massachusetts based lender in the $1.8 million permanent financing and $1.3 million bridge financing for the acquisition of a 122-unit hotel.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating; Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2005, 2013-2018.
- Admitted: Massachusetts; United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Fellow: Massachusetts Bar Foundation.
- Member: Boston Bar Association; Massachusetts Bar Association; Financial Services Leadership Council, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce.
- Volunteer Lawyer at Veterans Legal Services.
- Actively involved in raising scholarship money for children of veterans who attended Phillips Academy.
- Actively involved in Families of SMA, an organization that raises money for the research and treatment of Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a disease that destroys the nerves that control voluntary muscle movement.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- SBA 504: What Happens After Closing, America East, 2017, George A. Hewett (panelist)
SBA 504 Program Adds Up for Borrowers, The Real Reporter, George A. Hewett (quoted)
More in Store for 504 As SBA Loans Thrive, The Real Reporter, George A. Hewett (quoted)
Users are Winners in 2012 CRE Game, The Real Reporter, George A. Hewett (quoted)
SBA 504 Aids Trio of MA Borrowers, The Real Reporter, George A. Hewett (quoted)