Charles H. DeBevoise
Practice Focus and Experience
Charles DeBevoise practices in the Banking and Credit, Business Law, and Real Estate and Environmental areas. He has extensive experience representing lenders, businesses, and real estate entities in a wide range of transactional and business matters including commercial and asset-based lending, floor plan lending for the automobile industry, real estate financing, project and construction financing, bond financing, letters of credit, and loans for Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs). Charles also has extensive experience in loan workouts, secured party sales of collateral, and commercial mortgage foreclosures involving all types of collateral, including large-scale office buildings and shopping centers. His practice includes the representation of venture capitalists, corporations, and entrepreneurs in venture capital financing. Charles also represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters.
Following law school, Charles was a Law Clerk to the Honorable Donald F. Shea, Associate Justice, Rhode Island Supreme Court from 1983 to 1984.
- Counsel to regional lender in numerous auto floor plan, working capital and mortgage financings. Significant transactions include:
- $188 million syndicated floor plan, term loan and mortgage loan financing to New England's largest auto dealer group for dealerships in Massachusetts and Rhode Island;
- $120 million floor plan and mortgage financing for a large New York-headquartered auto dealer group including fourteen auto dealerships and eleven real estate locations in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York;
- $43 million syndicated floor plan and working capital financing to one of western Massachusetts's largest auto dealer groups, including six auto dealer borrowers;
- $79 million floor plan financing to two subsidiary groups of a publicly traded Japanese company, with three locations in Massachusetts and nine locations on Long Island, New York;
- $32 million floor plan and working capital financing to one of central Massachusetts's largest dealer groups, including five auto dealership borrowers;
- $47 million floor plan and acquisition financing for purchase of two Mercedes Benz dealerships in New York City and Long Island areas;
- $8.5 million acquisition, construction and permanent mortgage financing for Rhode Island medical office building;
- 29% participation in $35 million floor plan loans to dealer group located north of Boston, Massachusetts;
- $13 million floor plan financing to Swiss corporation with offices on Long Island for Pennsylvania-warehoused vehicles; complying with new Article 9 perfection rules called for filing financing statement in District of Columbia.
- Counsel to venture capital fund in $4 million Series A Convertible Preferred. Stock investment in Connecticut medical device start-up company with technology licensed by Yale University.
- Counsel to numerous buyers, sellers, and lenders in mergers and acquisitions transactions for nonpublic companies.
- Counsel to bank acting as lender in $2 million working capital financing and as purchaser of $1.6 million industrial revenue bond for acquisition and construction of Norton, Massachusetts TPC golf course.
- Counsel to developer borrower for $4.6 million construction loan for Rhode Island condominium project.
- Counsel to $1.6 million mezzanine lender for construction of Boston, Massachusetts hotel, including structuring and negotiating inter creditor agreement with senior lender and subsequent mezzanine loan default workout.
- Counsel to privately held engineering services company in sale of 46% of company to Employee Stock Ownership Plan, including corporate restructuring and recapitalization, structuring of family limited partnership and financing.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating; Listed in Who's Who in American Law and Who's Who in America; Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2017-2018.
- Admitted: Massachusetts; Rhode Island; District of Columbia.
- Member: Massachusetts Bar Association; Boston Bar Association; Rhode Island Bar Association; District of Columbia Bar Association; American Bar Association.
- Boston Committee on Foreign Relations (2015-present).
- St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church, Dover: Chair, 50th Anniversary and Capital Campaign Committee (2016-present); Vestry and Chair, Property Committee (2014); Search Committee (2005-2006); Senior Warden (2000-2003); Member, Vestry and Chair, Stewardship Committee (1996-1999).
- Boy Scout Troop 1 Dover, Assistant Scoutmaster (2004-2008).
- Cub Scout Pack 52 Dover, Tiger Cub and Webelos Den Leader (1999-2000; 2003-2004; 2006-2008).
- Boston Minuteman Council, Boy Scouts of America, Executive Board (2001-2002).
- Narragansett Council, Boy Scouts of America, Executive Board (1988-1995).
- Yawgoog Alumni Association, Member, Executive Committee (1983-2003), Secretary (1986-2003).