John D. Chambliss
Practice Focus and Experience
John Chambliss practices in the Business Law area. John represents business organizations and individuals primarily in the areas of limited liability company law, securities law, corporate law, partnership law, venture capital, and real estate syndication. His practice relates primarily to transactions involving business formations, private and public financings, and acquisitions and sales of businesses.
Prior to joining Davis Malm in 1992, John was an attorney with Gaston & Snow for 22 years, of which 15 years were as a partner of that firm and its predecessors.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in aggregate $1.8 billion stock and bond transactions, including the sale of $800 million of senior notes in a private placement with Goldman Sachs as the lead underwriter, financing involving the simultaneous redemption and repurchase of outstanding secured notes, a subsequent registration and exchange offer for the new notes, the sale of 6.9 million shares of common stock, and the sale of an additional $600 million of senior notes under a new indenture.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in its acquisition of a Canadian, public company in exchange for $56 million of cash, $118 million in our client's common stock, and the assumption of approximately $235 million of the acquired company's debt. We also assisted this client in successfully completing an offering of $300 million of Senior Secured Notes.
- Follow-on registered public offerings of $64 million and $11 million of common stock by publicly held clients in Norwell and North Falmouth, Massachusetts.
- $51.5 million acquisition of a France-based, hazardous waste incinerator company in Arkansas.
- Purchase of an environmental services business with $500 million of revenues by publicly held client headquartered in Norwell, Massachusetts, financed by $280 million of debt and equity financings.
- Formation of a $10 million venture capital partnership headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Rule 144A private placement of $150 million of senior secured notes followed by registered exchange offering by publicly-held client headquartered in Norwell, Massachusetts.
- Registered public offering of $10.6 million by publicly-held client headquartered in North Falmouth, Massachusetts.
- Private placement of $7 million of LLC interests by client creating a condominium hotel in Naples, Florida.
- $14.2 million equity financing in a Small Business Investment Company client of the firm headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Restructuring of the equity in a limited partnership which owns a 500-unit apartment complex in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Formation and equity offerings by two limited partnerships which respectively developed Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Formation of three joint venture entities between a developer client of the firm and institutional investors which have developed office/warehouse buildings in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Complex refinancing of $86 million of senior and subordinate debt for a publicly traded company faced with the pending maturity of $50 million of senior subordinated notes.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating; Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004, 2013-2018.
- Admitted: Massachusetts.
- Member: Boston Bar Association; American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section).
- Actively involved in Tenacity, a year round youth development organization that offers free tennis instruction and academic enrichment to over 3,000 Boston youth.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
20 Davis Malm Attorneys Recognized by Massachusetts Super Lawyers
23 Davis Malm Attorneys Recognized by Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty-Five Davis Malm Attorneys Recognized by Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty-Six Davis Malm Attorneys Listed in 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Davis Malm Assists Long-Standing Client Clean Harbors, Inc. with Acquisition of Thermo Fluids, Inc.
Twenty-Six Davis Malm Attorneys Listed in 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty Davis Malm Attorneys Listed in 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Davis Malm Assists Long-Standing Client Clean Harbors, Inc. with Acquisition of Evergreen Oil
Davis Malm Collaborates With Long-Standing Public Client Clean Harbors, Inc. in $1.25 Billion Acquisition of Safety-Kleen, Inc.
Davis Malm Collaborates With Long-Standing Public Client Clean Harbors, Inc. in its Acquisition of Eveready Inc. of Canada
Davis Malm Client Clean Harbors Closes Follow-On Public Offering of Common Stock
Davis Malm Client Clean Harbors Announces the Closing of its Public Offering
John D. Chambliss Participates in Lorman Education Services Seminar on "Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs: Organization and Operation In Massachusetts"
Davis Malm Attorneys Represent Long-Standing Client Clean Harbors, Inc. In Purchase Of Safety-Kleen Corporation's Chemical Services Division
Firm's History with Client Key to $86M Refinancing Deal, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
Davis Malm Attorneys Represent Long-Standing Client Clean Harbors, Inc. in Complex Refinancing of $86M of Senior and Subordinate Debt