Pro Bono Activities and Community Service
Davis Malm attorneys, and our competent staff members who support their efforts, regularly dedicate themselves to pro bono legal representation in many areas, including work with low-income clients, military veterans, and disabled individuals. We also work with organizations involved in such concerns as economic development, education, and civil and human rights.
Our personnel - lawyers and staff - are encouraged to participate actively in our communities. They give of their time generously to worthy individuals and organizations - charitable, governmental, cultural, religious, and educational. We are personally committed to improving the quality of life in the communities in which we work and live.
Representative Pro Bono Efforts
- Adams Pro Bono Publico Award: One of our shareholders was awarded the Adams Pro Bono Publico Award from the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court for his work establishing and operating the Lawyer for the Day Program at the Boston Housing Court. Read more.
- The Boston Foundation: One of our attorneys is a founding member of the Professional Advisors Committee of The Boston Foundation. The foundation makes grants to nonprofit organizations, designs special community funding initiatives, and works with donors and other funders to promote philanthropy.
- Friend of the Court Brief: We filed an amicus curiae (friend of the court) brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in a case of fundamental importance to condominium developers. The court's decision upheld the use of phasing techniques in condominium developments. Read more.
- The Hundred Club of Mass.: One of our shareholders is counsel to and a member of the board of directors of The Hundred Club of Mass., a charity that provides essential benefits to the surviving family members of deceased Massachusetts police officers and firefighters.
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation: One of our shareholders is a past president of the Massachusetts Bar Foundation. He is a leading force in the organization, having served as a fellow for more than ten years, a trustee since 2005, and most recently -before becoming president - as treasurer and vice president. The MBF oversees the selection of recipients for more than $4 million in grants given to nonprofit organizations in Massachusetts whose programs either provide civil legal services to the state's low-income population or improve the administration of justice in the commonwealth. Read more.
- Massachusetts Fallen Firefighters Memorial Fund: One of our shareholders is counsel to the Massachusetts Fallen Firefighters Memorial Fund, Inc., which was established to design, construct and maintain a memorial for firefighters killed in the line of duty.
- Shelter Legal Services: Several of our attorneys are active volunteers with Shelter Legal Services, a nonprofit organization offering free legal advice and representation to homeless and low-income individuals in the Boston area. We recently successfully resolved a controversy with the Department of Social Services and the Department of Revenue, obtaining full reimbursement of funds wrongly collected from our client.
Representative Community Service Initiatives
- AccesSportAmerica: One of our shareholders is an active fund-raiser and supporter of AccesSportAmerica, which offers disabled children and adults opportunities to participate in high-challenge sports. The firm assists her efforts by providing monetary support and participating in the Mayor's Cup Regatta each summer. In 2008, the regatta raised more than $160,000 for AccesSport operations and our team won a bronze medal in the competition.
- Boston Center for Adult Education: One of our shareholders is past president and a 25-year board member of the Boston Center for Adult Education.
- Boston Modern Orchestra Project: One of our shareholders serves on the board of trustees of the Boston Modern Orchestra Project, a decade-old orchestra that has received rave reviews, released a number of successful CDs, and formed a new label to record and publish contemporary music.
- Bostonian Society: Davis Malm is a proud supporter of the Bostonian Society, a Boston-based nonprofit dedicated to studying and preserving Boston’s uniquely important history, embodied in materials, records, and structures such as the Old State House, and in sharing an understanding of the revolutionary ideas born here.
- Boy Scouts of America: One of our shareholders is active in the Boy Scouts of America at the local and regional levels. He is currently an assistant scoutmaster and den leader. He is a former executive board member of the Boston Minuteman Council and its Narragansett Council. He is also a former executive committee member and secretary of the Yawgoog Alumni Association.
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute: Davis Malm is a proud supporter of Dana Farber and its commitment to providing cancer patients with the beast treatment available while developing tomorrow's cures through cutting-edge research.
- Friends of Boston Homeless: One of our shareholders is an active board member of Friends of Boston Homeless, an organization devoted to helping Boston's homeless population.
- Massachusetts Advocates for Children: One of our shareholders is a member of the board of directors of Massachusetts Advocates for Children, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving life opportunities for Massachusetts children. As a board member, she assists the organization in all areas of fund-raising and policy making.
- South Boston Neighborhood House: One of our shareholders is a member of the executive committee and the board of directors of the South Boston Neighborhood House, a century-old settlement house providing educational and other community services to the South Boston community.
- South Shore Elder Services: One of our staff members is a friendly visitor with South Shore Elder Services. The program matches volunteer visitors with elderly persons who are homebound and, as such, are experiencing isolation and loneliness.
Additional Organizations Our Attorneys and Staff Actively Support Include:
- All Newton Music School
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart/American Stroke Association
- American Judicature Society
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston University Public Interest Project
- Charles River Conservancy
- The College of Labor and Employment Attorneys
- Cradles to Crayons
- Discovering Justice
- The Dr. Charles H. Weingarten Adaptive Sports & Recreation Program at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- Families of SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy)
- Farr Academy
- Girls, Inc.
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Habitat for Humanity
- Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop Program
- Hill House
- Little Brothers, Friends of the Elderly
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- Massachusetts Cultural Council
- New England Center for Homeless Veterans
- Showa Boston Institute
- Smaller Business Association of New England
- Tenacity (Boston)
- The Thoreau Society
- Veterans Legal Services
- Women's Bar Association of Massachusetts
- YMCA Camp Hi-Rock